As you probably have figured out by now, Billionaires World News likes to see old majestic mansions and properties refurbished and reused for future generations to appreciate. Here is one such story.
The opening of The History Center — the Linn County Historical Society — on Oct. 13 marks the next chapter in the preservation of the historic 120-year-old Douglas mansion at 800 Second Ave. SE in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
It was in 1898 that George B. Douglas Jr. and his wife, Irene, moved into their new Colonial Revival home in the hilltop neighborhood known then as “Mansion Hill.” With them was their firstborn, a baby named Margaret.
Douglas’ father, George Sr., was one of the founders of North Star Mills in Cedar Rapids in 1873, the company that evolved into the Quaker Oats factory. George Jr. continued the family interests of the massive cereal plant and also assisted his brother, Walter, in starting the Douglas & Co. cornstarch factory in Cedar Rapids in 1903.
In 1905, the Douglas family witnessed the massive fire that destroyed the Cedar Rapids Quaker Oats plant and the subsequent rebuilding of the factory just blocks from their home. In addition, 1905 saw the arrival of George and Irene’s second daughter, Ellen.
The following year, the Douglases made the decision to basically “swap” real estate properties with the Sinclair family of Cedar Rapids.
Read and see more at…..
The History Center’s new home in Cedar Rapids once home to Douglases, Sinclairs and Turner Mortuary